only human

human factors and psychology stuff for anyone interested in making things easier, safer and more enjoyable to use

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 

Why software sucks (and what to do about it)

When I fist started out as a Usability 'expert', it always left me dubfounded when I was presented with a piece of software or a website which was designed so badly. I just couldn't understand how someone had been so shortsighted. I got on my high horse, condemned it and pointed out all its faults without really offering any solutions. It wasn't until I worked more closely with designers and actually started to create things that I realised just how hard it was to design something that didn't suck. Only then was I able to actually start making a difference and help design good products.



'Why software sucks (and what to do about it)' is a great article from Scott Burkun which crystalises the issues surrounding why designs can suck, and how to go about making stuff that is a lot less sucky. He manages to pull in lots of different perspectives on design and human factors into an article which delivers some pertinant points in a clear and entertaining way.

Full article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home